Since I started my Low Carb Journey two months ago, I have heard a LOT of different questions and comments about my new lifestyle. Of course, there are some people who I know have been genuinely concerned with my health and I’m okay with that. I can handle that because I have done my research and I can explain things to them if they are asking questions out of love for me. (*Disclaimer: If you fall into the category of people who love me and are genuinely concerned for my health, this does NOT apply to you. Please do NOT take offense as that is not at all my intention.) But then we have those people–usually complete strangers–who are just flat out ignorant or talk to you like you’re an idiot because they simply don’t understand it.
So, I decided to take a poll. I posted a question on my Low Carb Thyroid group page and on a similar Low Carb/High Fat page on Facebook. I asked the following question: What are some ignorant/offensive things people have said to you when they found out you are living a Low Carb/High Fat lifestyle? Some of the responses I got were HILARIOUS, while some were honestly, a little sad. So, here are 10 of my favorites.
- “Everything in moderation.” — As someone with Hypothyroidism, this statement is so frustrating for me. For someone who is already healthy and wants to remain thin…yes, this is great advice. But I am not healthy or thin (yet) and traditional diets have NEVER worked for me, therefore I obviously need to be doing something different.
- “I could do that! I don’t eat a lot of pasta or bread anyway.” — Do you even know what a carb is? Are you aware that just an apple has 25g of carbs? How about a banana? 27g of carbs. And do you know what I’m aiming for? 20-30g of carbs per day. So if I eat an apple…that’s all of my daily intake. Yeah.
- “Eating all that fat will make your cholesterol and blood pressure go through the roof!” — Really? Have you read all the recent studies they’ve done comparing people on low fat diets versus people on low carb diets? Do some research, please!
- “Oh, is that the new fad diet?” — Yes, because that’s definitely why I would choose to give up every food I’ve ever loved…for a fad. Sure, some people might see it that way. I see it as a lifestyle change for the better.
- “It’s not healthy to lose so much weight so quickly.” — This usually comes after I’ve explained what kind of diet I’m on, told them about all the research I’ve done, and then reveal that I’ve lost nearly 30 pounds in 2 months.
- “I could NEVER give up carbs! I would die!” — The opposite side of the “I could do that!” attitude. But I continue to insist that if I can do it, anyone can!
- *Blank stare* — Come on! At least congratulate me when I tell you I’ve lost 30 pounds by eating this way! This is a huge deal for me and I’m really proud of myself!
- “Did you hear about the guy who died on the Atkins diet?” — First off, I’m not on the Atkins diet. I am on my own journey, different from anyone else’s. Why? Because my body is different from anyone else’s. Some days, I stumble and fall. But I get back up and try again! And it’s working for me!
- “How long do you have to be on this diet?” — Umm…did you not hear me refer to it as a LIFESTYLE? Will I slip up now and then or treat myself everyone once in a while? Sure. But this is how I want to eat for the rest of my life. I feel better this way. I know it’s not for everyone, but it is for me.
- “One cookie won’t kill you!” — Actually, it will. Okay, not the one cookie. But haven’t you heard of a binge trigger? Yeah, it doesn’t just stop at one cookie.
What are some things that people have told you when they found out you were Low Carb/High Fat? Maybe some of you aren’t high fat and still try to watch your calories. That’s okay too. But I definitely urge EVERYONE to do their research before starting any kind of diet. This has really been a game changer for me and my illness and I am grateful that my doctor suggested it to me. 🙂